The farm is on Barford Road. This photo is held in St Neots Museum – Ref SNEMU image no. G182
St Neots Poor Law Union was formed on 24th September 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians.
Three workhouses were built in Huntingdonshire – one in Great Stukeley to serve the Huntingdon Union area, one in Hemingford Grey to serve the St Ives Union, and one just across the river from St Neots.
Huntingdonshire Archives has superb collections of records for the Huntingdon and St Ives workhouses, including registers of admissions and discharges, birth and death registers, punishment books, and occasionally plans.
The new St Neots Union workhouse was built in 1841-2 at Eaton Socon, St Neots. It was designed, without charge, by local architect William Abbot and was based on the popular cruciform or “square” plan. Its location and layout are shown on the 1901 map below.
To keep down costs, no paving-stones or iron railings were incorporated, and at one stage, only one lavatory was provided. However, soon after its opening, these shortcomings were remedied with the addition of a perimeter hedge, clock, and additional privies behind the original infirmary block. A newer separate infirmary existed by 1878.
The main building, later used as a veterinary centre for horses, is now known as the White House and used as residential accommodation. The former infirmary, also now a residential property, stands on Linclare Place.
This building is now converted into flats and is called The White House
The Poor Law Board sanction the above Dietary. Ralph Earle, Secretary. By order of the Board of Guardians, J.H. Ennals, Clerk.
Letterpress broadside, two tables; one of recommended portions of dietary stables for adults, the other of equivalents for children under 16 (subdivided into three age groups). Sheet 445 x 285mm, 17½ x 11¼”. Folds, spotting and tatty extremities.
Introduced under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, a workhouse was a place where people who were unable to support themselves could go to live and work. This piece of ephemera printed for the Poor Law Guardians of St. Neots represents an interesting piece of social history.
Provenance: from a scrap album compiled c.1840 – 1880 by Alfred Towgood of Riverside, a paper mill owner at St. Neots, Huntingdon. He was also a Lieutenant in the Duke of Manchester’s Light Horse.
A small house at 2 Brook Street was once used as the St Neots parish poorhouse.
St Neots’ Corn Exchange, now demolished and replaced by the shops opposite what was then Midland Bank now Santander on south street as it joins the High Street, is pictured below on the right. It was a very beautiful building with a Cupola (shown) built in the 1860’s.
“In 1915 the building was purchased by C.A.James landlord of the Bridge Hotel who opened it as a Cinema. The building caught fire in 1929 and the Cupola fell down. It was refurbished and renamed the Pavillion Cinema until 1969 when the whole building was demolished.” – St. Neots Through Time (on sale at the St.Neots Museum)
This 1905 postcard for Cinderella, posted to Ms. Trundley Hail Western, presumably a publicity post card.
This image taken on the Market Square looking north captures a collection of children in fancy dress, possibly for the carnival or other parade ( due to fences being put up along the pavement ).
Lady pictured in black top may be Eileen Harrington, a local nanny at the time from Silver Street, Eynesbury .
Also in the background of the shot, R.E Cadge Ltd. was a famous Clothes shop.
This picture taken April 02 1907, shows children playing on the common taken facing the now Hyde Park and Auction rooms on New Street.
When this image was taken, the Hyde Park pub was then the Cannon Inn until around the mid 1990’s as seen in the back of the shot, alongside the inn’s stabling .
You can faintly see both St. Marys church and the United Reform on the high street.
A stern faced Daughter of the Regiment with her bicycle pictured outside Thirtle & Co, Market Square, St Neots. Looking at the costumes, this is probably around 1900. Presumably the ribbons decorating the bike are red white and blue, or maybe they are the regimental colours – we shall never know.
I had never heard of Thirtle & Co, but a quick search on the internet provided this scan of the programme for George V’s coronation in 1911. Does anyone know where Thirtle’s store was exactly? Let us know if you think you do. Is it the outfitters that later became Cadge’s?