This image of the Last signalman of the St Neots signal box is just lovely, but a bit bittersweet.
This signal box, opened in 1898 closed in 1977.
More information on the life of this box
” Originally possessed two boxes which dated from the introduction of “proper” signalling here in 1877… The south box was, however renewed in 1898 in connection with the quadrupling of the running lines. Interestingly, this South box (illustrated here) was built to emulate the design of the old box that had been here. Apart from the all-timber construction, it bears great similarity to the 1878 box at Shepreth.
The box contained a Saxby & Farmer (Duplex) frame of sixty levers – an example of this type of frame can be seen at Warsop Junction.
In 1925, the North box closed as an economy measure, and a few of its signals became controlled by this box, which lost the “South” suffix to its name. Around that time, Barford box (to the south) also closed, and on the main running lines (but not the goods) early automatic signalling was provided.
St. Neots subsequently had a steady existence up to the resignalling of the East Coast Main Line in the early seventies.”